Thursday, November 25, 2010

Parody novels....Good? Bad?

The world of parody, whether in writing or in film or in music, has never been one of my favorite genres but a friend of mine come back from the States with a copy of  Pride and Prejudice and Zombies . It immediately peeked my interest. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite novels...the calm collectiveness of Eliza Bennett and the dreamy Mark Darcy (who when later portrayed by Colin Firth became even dreamier!!!) make the novel timeless. Seth Grahame-Smith has taken this beloved classic and added zombies! I love zombies, btw.

I've just begun the book and Im still debating whether this already great story really needed to have zombies added to it.
What do you think of these parody novels that are so popular?
Do you think such popular novels should be changed into something new? Is it a 'new' novel or a bastardized version of the old?




 




The battle of smoking/non-smoking continues and has not been slowed down by a sudden bout of the cold :(

2 comments:

  1. Well.... I can't really offer my opinion of parody novels but i can tell you that I have always HATED parody movies (for the MOST part!!) lol.

    The 'Scary Movie' series has always struck a nerve with me - I can't stand them.

    However, I love 'Space Balls'... so my opinion is not a catch all.

    XoXoXo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Naked Gun? A good parody. I hate the Scary Movie series as well...and Space Balls is a classic work of genius :)

    ReplyDelete